This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Saturday in the Life of Andy and Cara

October 19, 2013. A bright and sunny Saturday  brought excitement to take pictures all the live long day. But I tend to forget most often than not that my cell phone battery does not last forever, and by 6pm I was hugging the red line... err, battery light. Less than 20% full, but more than 100% effort. Here we go with Saturday!

My cat Suki greets me in the bathroom. I awoke around 7:30am this morning, hoping to sleep in just a bit. Well, 45 minutes of sleeping in had to do. We had an estate sale to get ready for!

Why is my hair so poofy today? Must document with a bathroom selfie. 

Andy is making bacon. 

At this point he asks what I'm doing and why I'm taking pictures so early. I inform him that this is for a day in the life post for the blog and he gets excited about me documenting his breakfast makin'.

It's a foggy morning, but it will soon burn off. 

Eggs for all!  
English muffins

In go the eggs

Yes, I put some ketchup on my breakfast sandwich. I also added a slice of cheddar. This ended up being way too much for breakfast and we vowed to go easy on lunch and dinner. We've been counting calories and have delved back into our workout routine, but this turned out to be our cheat day. No harm, no foul!

Coffee Coffee Coffee! I've had this mug forever. 

After breakfast and shower come the clothes. I also must protect my cheapy $5 Target tights with a pair of striped socks. How do you like our orange shag carpet? It's original to our 1970 house! Our neighbors tell us that original owners always had their carpets chem dried, hence the great condition. They are clean, but worn through. Someday we'll replace them with hard woods or carpet. 

I have no idea why I always have to pose with duck lips. I do it to be ironic. For realsies. 

Hey, I straightened my hair!

My messy dresser and trying to decide between my green sweater or my blue sweater. I'm quite bored with my clothing as of late and can't ever seem to find anything worthwhile in the stores. I think it's time to venture into boutique land over in Portland. 

I bought this print on our trip to Bend over the summer. 

Blue for the win! This is one of our spare bedrooms that will most likely become a child's room at some point. I hope to rip at the carpet out at some point before a babby comes into our lives.

This is my attempt at fashun. Check out my flare for mixing colors! 

Hot! Running more is paying off!

My mother-in-law gifted me this necklace after her trip to New Orleans. I put a bird on it!

Fat cat Suki running down the hall. 

A blurry Andy, running for the kitchen to fill his water bottle which was left at his parents' house. 

Time to go! It's about 9:45am by this point. Here's one of our pumpkins we picked out last weekend from the pumpkin patch. And you know what? I have a draft waiting for that post to publish! Go me for posting more!

Hey, the fog has lifted!

Hey, sweet thing!

We ate your stick family. Also, thanks Obama! Go to youtube.com if you have not seen the Thanks Obama funnies, particularly by Jenna Marbles.  
This store has been going out of business for awhile. And by awhile, I mean since the beginning of summer.

 This morning we're heading north to Salmon Creek for the estate sale, so we won't quite make it to Seattle. Another day perhaps.  

Heavy fog awaits us on I-205. 

Now we're in the thick of it just two miles or so from home. 

We've entered Cougar country! 

Not the seedy lady kinda cougar, but the Washington State University campus here in town. My brother-in-law is currently attending, working on a second degree in mechanical engineering. He already has a degree in atmospheric sciences from the University of Washington, but couldn't find work. However, he is a tried and true Husky, just like me (I graduated from UW in 2004). 

Cheese time! I just put on some makeup to cover up some spots.

Hey, we made it! It's only 10:07am and there are least 20 people in front of us in line. 

Estate sale sign

A lady in line mentioned this sale from which she just came. She said it was too good not to miss, so we decided to check it out afterwards. And it was only about 3 miles away!

I don't think there were 86 other people in the house, maybe 40 or so, but I'm glad this company only let a few folks in at a time. Some estate sale companies let everyone in at once and you are packed in like sardines which isn't very fun. 

Pretty fall colors

Hey, Andy. Make a face! Andy is an honorary Husky, as he's been a fan all of his life. Plus, we need him to balance out the family rivalry! 

Getting closer!

Not the best picture of the pyrex dish I found for $8 which I will resell on Etsy for about $15. It's the casserole dish in Town and Country. We also picked up some sweet vintage dinosaur cookie cutters, a huge gingerbread man cookie cutter, and a white board. 

This house was large and in charge!

Fantastic chairs, but we were not about to drop $140 for the pair. The table on the other hand was worth for $40 and would've been great in our basement.  

Sweet couch which also would've been nice in the basement, but not worth the price. 

By now it's about 11:30am and we'd been at the estate sale for about an hour. Now onto the Manor Grange.


Nice!

Front of the grange. 

This space has a good vibe and would be fun for an event. 

I love old Christmas tree ornaments!

Thought about getting this rooster plate for my mom but passed. 


I love the floor. 

Croquet balls

Seashells

Lights

A barn on the way to Battle Ground. We spent about 20 minutes at the grange sale but didn't make off with anything. 

The Goodwill in Battle Ground! It's now around 12:15. I ran into a lady inside the store who had a basket full of pyrex. I chatted her up for a few minutes and learned that she's also a collector and seller. We exchanged Etsy store names and hopefully I'll see her on the Pyrex Collective blog. I tried to slyly take a picture of her basket but it didn't work. 

A crocheted bonnet. By 1pm or so we ended up down the road inside Rusty Glamour, a cute little boutique with old, repurposed, and new items for sale. My old co-worker had mentioned this shop to me a few months back and everyone who works in the store actually volunteers their time and also host a booth within the shop. How neat is that! 

Boo! 
Hey, duck lips. 

Sweet colors of chalk board paint! I think the orange would be quite swell! Maybe not a whole walls worth, but enough for a large picture frame to border. 

Take a picture of me!

Groovy mugs

Andy dug the lamp.

I love kitchen carts. I don't love overpriced Pyrex!

Driving back through Battle Ground. 

We happened upon a yard sale, but it really turned out to be a hoarders stomping ground. What you can't see is the owner of the home holding her tall boy of beer at 12:30pm! I suppose it's after 5 o'clock somewhere. 

This sign is sweet! It's nearing 1pm at this point and I wanted to head to Barn Finds over in Hazel Dell. Andy wants to eat and I'm feeling indecisive about lunch. We should eat at home, but it's out of the way at this point as we're heading to the west side of town. We argue briefly about this afternoon's plans changing as we'll now be heading to his parents' house in Camas to watch the football game rather than watching from home. Andy hasn't spent time with dad in a few weeks as they've been out of town. I blame my hormones for my quick outburst and we venture on. 

TOTES SWEET! I have a Take-A-Long recorder but it's not as tubular as this Barbie model. 

Andy had me put on this jacket for him. The tag said it was from the 1950s, but it was made in China and we found it hard to believe that it would've been made in China at that time. Anywho, it was cute and fit well. 

I feel bad for Doug, class of 1995, who lettered in football at Prairie High School. His letterman's jacket is hanging in this antique store! This serves as a reminder to ask my cousins (who also attended Prairie, classes of 1993 and 1997, respectively) if they knew of Doug. 

I love it!

Buh bye, Barn Finds. We'll be back again. Also, this store is not in a barn. It shares space with an auto body shop. 


It's about 1:15pm and we've headed to Don Pedro's for lunch. Hunger has won. 

Holy geezus. I had a few bites of the americanized salad (with ranch!) and maybe half of the shrimp fajita business. Andy ate his whole plate, then nibbled on my leftovers. See that thick green sauce in the bottom left hand corner?
Spicy as f*ck. Ouch. 

You're welcome, Hazel Dell! At one time in the mid 1990s, Hazel Dell tried to become its own city, but still remains part of unincorporated Clark County. The city limits are growing, despite the large size of Vancouver. Urban sprawl, you are winning. 

2pm. On our way back home to rest for a bit before heading to Camas. 

Fall colors near our house. 

It's close to 2:45pm and we're heading toward Camas. Here's a blurry shot of Mt. Hood!

We drive by this abandoned house every time we're on our way to the in-laws and we think the fire department has begun using it as practice for fire safety. County property records state that the house/land was recently sold for $850k! What! There must be more land with that house. 

Lacamas Lake Lodge under construction.

Lucy! My in-laws' dog! She's always excited to see me. 

After the game started around 3pm until 6pm or so, I read these magazine, browsed my Feedly blog roll, and napped in the chair. 

 Around 6:45pm, we headed over to Killer Burger with Andy's dad and brother. Darn you, Saturday and your plenty of hearty calorie filled meals! I realized by phone battery was quite low at this point and reserved the juices until I got home. After a delicious girlie size peanut butter pickle burger, we headed over to Kohl's around 8:30pm for a very uneventful excursion. Why can't I find anything at department stores? Blah. 

Back home around 9:45pm. Time to throw in some laundry. I took Andy's laundry out of the dryer. 

That's a full load you've got there. A little laundry humor for ya. :)

Cleaning the litter boxes. My cat Suki is forever lazy and uses the potty pad instead of the box for his #1s. After this, we curled up on the couch to watch a rerun of Jeopardy! which we'd already seen from last summer. Bummer! So, we hit the hay around 10:15pm, read for bit, xoxo, and sleep!  

12 comments:

  1. Nice post! And this reminds me that we need to go shopping. Thinking about a trip to the Woodburn Outlets at some point. I owe you a lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes to shopping and lunch! Let's plan a weekend outing. :)

      Delete
  2. Um, this is my perfect day. I LOVE looking for treasures at thrift stores etc! I'm so jealous that your guy goes with you! Mine finds it tedious and annoying.
    Also jealous of your west-coastiness - I miss BC. Nice to see the weather and mountains.
    Finally, what is a peanut butter pickle burger??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Plus the weather has been absolutely awesome this month after a boat load of rain in September. And the burger is exactly as described with a hearty serving of creamy and not too sweet peanut butter on top. It's ridiculously delicious! Here's a link to the restaurant's web site - http://killerburger.biz/

      Delete
  3. Like your boots!

    It was fun to see the insides of an estate sale and some of those shops - I would lose patience too quickly in those situations, so it was nice to see the highlights :)

    The outside pics all made it seem really lovely in your neck of the woods!

    And ditto to that pb pickle burger question, I'll have to check out that link :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed very much! Do I detect a little quid-pro-quo? You come with my to the thrifts, I'll go to your folks' and endure football? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day! I enjoyed the vicarious thrift

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love vintage shopping, but could never get my husband to go.

    And I must visit Washington one day. Why have I never been. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! Washington is lovely, especially during the summer months. :)

      Delete