If you're unfamiliar with Couch to 5k, the program gets you off the couch and jogging 3 times/week. By the end of 9 weeks, you should be able to run non-stop for 30 minutes. Here's a link for a synopsis of the workouts.
Personally, I'm still undecided on running a 5k. However, I have a feeling Andy is interested and we'll sign up for something before too long. I just completed W1D3 and Andy completed W1D2. I may repeat day 3 to stay on par with him and the extra run shouldn't hurt either.
Day 1: Felt like blah, running in cloudy weather on the nearby Burnt Bridge Creek trail. The run was easy at first; I made it 2/3 of the way before I felt super achy all over and walked the last 8 minutes.
Day 2: Felt okay, running in cloudy weather on the road/grass. Definite shin splints during the first 10 minutes, although I felt alright until the half way point and started dragging during the 5th run. I caught my second wind for the last two runs
Day 3: I felt good, running in cloudy weather on the BBC trail. I tried landing on my toes instead of my heels, which seemed to help keep away the shin splints. I did have a few right foot cramps for the first 5-10 seconds of the last few walks.
I'm trying to stretch for 20-30 minutes each day to keep myself limber. Yesterday before my run, I pulled a muscle in my back but ran anyway as it felt better than sitting in pain. Hopefully the strain will subside with my heating pad, stretching and rest!
YOU CAN DO IT! The weather will get better and running will get easier, I promise. Actually I think Spring is the perfect time to start.
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend signing up for a 5k. I paid for one (it's next weekend!) and signing up made a huge difference when it came to finishing my training. I'm a little nervous but I actually think I'll be able to run the entire thing!
Thanks Jenna! I'm looking forward to hearing about your 5k endeavor!
ReplyDelete