This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Taking it easy Tuesday

I had my first migraine headache last night and stayed home from work today to deal with the after effects. It came on slowly; a dull headache after dinner. I thought it was because I didn't have a diet cola in the afternoon and was I experiencing caffeine withdrawal. I attempted to lift weights with Andy last night, but noticed the pain started to increase. We have our nephew for a few days, so I put Tommy to bed around 8:30pm and waited for Andy to finish his workout. We watched How I Met Your Mother, and then I was ready for bed by 9:30pm, still feeling headachy and a little nauseated. By the time I'd brushed my teeth and turned off the light, I immediately felt the need to run for the toilet. I hate getting sick... I called out for Andy to google the symptoms of a migraine, then lied down in bed again. He came in and asked how I was feeling: a pounding headache on my left side, nauseous, and it hurt to have the lights on. I had to get back up again to visit the toilet... my throat was feeling quite thrashed by the time I made it back to bed. Andy brought me some over the counter medicine to help out, but I recall it taking me a long time to get to sleep.

Image from this site

I woke up this morning around 6am feeling tired and I had a dull achy feeling in my head, similar to being hungover. I always go back and forth with calling into work, but thank goodness for having a quite a bit of sick time racked up. I checked my work calendar to make sure I wasn't missing anything important and called my boss' voice mail. I recall my mom having a migraine headache every now again when I was a kid and how debilitating they were for her. I've heard horror stories from friends who've had migraines and how sick they feel before, during, and after. This morning I got up around 7am to get Tommy ready for school, dropped him off at daycare, then headed back home. I thought about watching tv while on the couch, but going back to bed sounded much more appealing. I ended up sleeping for almost 4 hours this morning! I'm feeling better this afternoon, but getting up and moving around is a little slow going.

I'm not sure what triggered the migraine; it could be a plethora of things: work stress, lack of sleep/caffeine, my menstrual cycle, the weather. I'm going to do my best to take care of myself by continuing exercising and trying to get to bed at a decent hour. I also need to remind myself that it's okay to take a day off here and there, and the world will not end if I miss a day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment