This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Applesauce!

 A few weeks back, I trekked to the outer limits of Camas with my mom and Tommy to can applesauce at her friend Lisa's house. Even though Andy and I have all the supplies for canning, I was still intimidated by the process until we started. First, you buy 80lbs of apples from your local farm. This may seem like an insane amount, but coring, slicing, boiling, and mushing is a quick process when you have a team. We had a variety of Jonagold and Gala.

Coring works well with the nifty Kitchenaid apple corer/slicer. I need to put this on my Amazon wish list!

Mega boilers, ready for apples!

We have extra pots on the stove. Boil apples until soft, about 10-15 minutes. 
 
Be sure to take a break to watch Tommy ride on the CAT with Nick, Lisa's husband. 

Once you've boiled the apples, put them in this awesome fruit and vegetable strainer. It removes the peels AND mushes the apples into sauce.

Lots of cans! This is about half of the finished product. You can add spices or keep 'em plain in the jars.  An overall  tasty product!


No comments:

Post a Comment