This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let Go

Prompt: Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

I've let go of worrying about my sister. I still worry for her safety and well being, but I've taken a huge step away. She's made some ridiculous decisions in the last few years (which have been difficult to watch and comprehend), but finally, for the sake of my well being, my relationships, and my day-to-day life, I've finally cut the strings of always checking in, making sure she's okay, and trying my best to save her. You can't save or help someone with a heavy addiction who doesn't want or isn't ready for assistance. Our move away from our home has made it easier, but even when I do check in with her, I have no idea what to say. I'm tired of being the nagging, older sister; I've always wanted to just be her friend. But at the end of the day, she doesn't respond like my other friends do or how I hope she would. Addiction has taken over her life and only she can navigate her way out. We did have a few laughs the day after Thanksgiving, but even a holiday or a big life event will not change a person's habits, no matter how hard you hope and wish. However, life goes on... you can't allow yourself to be dragged down by someone else.

This was a heavy post for me. Here's hoping for a lighter prompt tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment