This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day #3: Your parents, in great detail

 
Wiping the cake frosting off my face

My mom - Lori - She's a saint. It's pretty much the first thing that pops into my head when I think of all that she's been through and all that she's done in her life. She consistently puts others first, takes on what needs to be done without hesitation, and is one of my role models. She's faced a lot of loss in her life, but keeps on trucking and pushing through to the next adventure. She's the second youngest of 5 kids; the daughter of a pulp & paper mill worker and a homemaker. She grew up in Antioch, California, but was enticed to move up to Washington state after high school to be closer to her family. In high school she was a Thespian, often working behind the scenes or acting in a school play.

With her brother, Bill, at our wedding reception

 In her adult life, she's traveled, acquired her mother's knack and appreciation for family genealogy, been to college, worked her way up the commercial insurance underwriting ladder, taken on raising her 4 year old grandson, become "Gammy," and has been a great friend to many. I've always had a great relationship with my mom and have always been able to share just about everything with her. We had our moments of head butting when I was a teenager, but I'm sure a lot of us experience that at some point or another. Here's to my mom who will always be 29!
Making a toast at our wedding 

My dad - Rob - He's an old soul, shares my love of nostalgia, and will also do anything for his family. My dad is the youngest of 3 kids; the son of an aluminum mill worker and a homemaker. He was born and raised in Vancouver, WA, only to have moved away from the area while we lived in Pasco, WA from 1982-1992. He's been working on the railroad for almost 21 years, has been an avid bowler for the majority of his life, and was once a sports reporter for his high school newspaper.

Dancing to "In My Life" by the Beatles

Although my dad has never been outside of the US, he does travel frequently around the country to many NASCAR hot spots. He's met his favorite driver, Rusty Wallace, on several occasions, been in the midst and busyness of the pit crew, and even got to try his hand at racing during a visit to Las Vegas at the Richard Petty Driving Experience. My dad and I are a lot alike; mostly quiet during group conversations, quick tempered, and ready to relive that moment from 1995. He's helped me out a lot over the years when I wasn't so hot with budgeting, and has been there for support when I've made tough decisions. He frequently told me when I was young that "big girls don't cry" and it was a motto that stuck with me when trying to stand up to others. I share a lot of with my dad and know we will always remain close no matter how far apart we live. In fact, he and Lynn (my step-mom) are coming to visit later today! Here's to my dad who shares my middle name, and who will always have a great story to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment