I'd used craigslist prior to April 2008, but hadn't had much luck and tended to think the boys I did meet just weren't that into me, or I just wasn't that into them. At least it made me feel better for the time being. Anywho, on a whim I decided to post an ad with a cheesy self-portrait and an off-the-cuff description of who I was (crafter, reproductive rights cheerleader, & cat lady). I met two or three boys before I met Andrew, and was able to check out his myspace page before the big date (April 29, 2008). We'd decided to meet up for drinks at the 15th Street Pub (RIP!), then headed over to downtown Portland for video games at Ground Katrol and Voodoo Donuts. I was wearing my typical hoodie, jeans, and converse, whereas Andy was in his button up shirt and slacks. I felt a little bad for not dressing up, but after so many blind dates with no future, I decided comfortable was more fitting for how I felt. When the tall, cute, and wide-smiled boy sat down across from me, I already felt at ease and was excited to get to know someone new.
I can't remember all that we talked about that night, but I knew by the end of the evening I wanted to see him again. I was excited to see an email in my inbox the next morning, asking for a second meetup! We'd planned for the following Saturday (May 3, 2008), where we ate sushi, went bowling, drank wine in the movie theatre parking lot, watched "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," and then drove around/talked/amused each other. When the conversation of how our families had swapped houses came about, we were already on our way to my mom's house to feed her dog (I had been dog sitting for the weekend). Although I knew this wasn't 2nd date material, I had to grab the closest photo album and point out specific photos of the two houses to make it more real!
We took things slow the next few weeks, and became an official couple on May 22, 2008 (almost 15 months ago!). I had even met his parents, his brother, Jeremy, and his grandmother before we ever kissed! We both didn't want to mess up the dynamic, and after being single for quite some time, delving into the world of relationships seemed almost foreign to me. Life has been a whirlwind the last year, but I must say that being with Andy and being engaged these last 8 months has been exciting, a little scary, and a lot of fun. Here's to us! :) <3
May 22, 2008!
ReplyDelete