This blog is 'Couve approved. Support for Team Candy comes from the letters ADB, CLK, and the number 29. Thank you for your patronage!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Alton Brown's Squash Soup

A few weeks ago, Andy and I trekked over to Corvallis for a muchly needed date night. We dined at Block 15 as we'd heard rave reviews of their beer selection. My sandwich came with a cup of pumpkin soup which was to die for! Upon arriving home, I looked around the internets for a good soup recipe, hoping to create something similar with butternut squash. Lo and behold, Alton Brown's Squash Soup! I created this gem last week and it didn't disappoint. I'm sure you can make a large batch and freeze this soup easily for many more enjoyable servings. Enjoy!

De-seed and rough chop two squash; I used one large and one small.

Although Alton's recipe requests leaving the rind intact, I found this to be quite messy after roasting. Next time, I'll be removing said rind and I recommend you do the same.

Brush the cubes with unsalted butter and sprinkle with kosher salt and white pepper.

Roast at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

If you left the rind on while roasting, let the squash cool. Then use whatever creative flatware you have (and fetch your husband) to remove the rind.

Toss the squash into a large stock pot with veggie base.

Gather your fresh ginger, honey, heavy cream and freshly ground nutmeg.

Simmer... Using my fancy immersion blender, I blended this to a nice, smooth consistency. If you don't own said blender, use a regular blender, potato masher (the squash will be soft), or a food processor.

It smelled so GOOD! Grate and stir in the nutmeg.

Add a little garnish of green pepper and another grind of nutmeg.Serve with crusty bread for instant smiles and happy tummies!

1 comment: